Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Apathy rules. Or it's just o.k. Who cares.

    It is time to get to know something about your faithful music blogger, i.e. yours truly. I hate getting up for work. It may surprise you, but I'm not very keen on getting up and getting out of bed. Especially when said bed is super comfy. Which it always is. So I made an apathy themed play list on spotify which can be listened to here: Just Cold Mix 10/16/2012

    My tribute to laziness and general dis-interest starts off smooth and slow. Therefore, I will refer to the first two tracks as the "pre-coffee" tracks. I chose to lead off with Life Goes On & On by 9 Lazy 9. See where I'm going with this? Anyway this is the opening track on the duo's album Electric Lazy Land. It is pretty much the perfect mood setter for this album, and for my lazy play list as well. I love jazzy Electronica, and this track is a perfect example of what I listen to when I'm chilling out. It is happy and mellow at the same time, a decent start to a horrible Monday if you ask me.

    Moving on, and staying with the Electronica feel for the time being, I selected Jet Stream (rmx) by Etheric Double and Emancipator. I discovered Emancipator through spotify, and I gotta tell you, if you like instrumentals, you'll love Emancipator. This particular track is perfect for the first couple sips of coffee and hitting the highway on your way to work. Pulsing, rhythmic and spacey, This sums up mornings for me. It's saying "I don't want to be awake, but if I have to, I'm gonna kick ass. With eyes half-open, of course."

    Now we are at work. We don't want to be there, but we have a rocking song called Burritos by Sublime. The song clearly states "I don't wanna leave my bed today." Amen, brother. This is just a straight out anthem for indifference, and I guarantee it's premise follows a mood we've all felt, every Monday morning if you're me. I threw in Breed by Nirvana, because if you don't listen to Nirvana when you're feeling ambivalent about life on a Monday morning, you're doing it wrong.

    Sarcasm marks the changing of our mood to "hell, I might as well try to enjoy myself" as NOFX takes the stage in our play list with Thank God It's Monday. You just gotta listen to it. Like most NOFX, it's funny and awesome.

    Jimi Hendrix, Rusted Root, and Eddie Vedder play us some melancholy-yet-head-bopping tunes to get us through the afternoon. Unexpected by Sprung Monkey gives us that corny positivity we need to get through the last four minutes of work, then we have the Cave by The Culver City Dub Collective which mellows us back down as we enjoy the ride home.

  I hope you enjoyed our musical journey into indifference today. Until next time, keep it cold.

-C


2 comments:

  1. Love it man! I've been listening to the Sound Tribe Sector 9 station on Pandora quite a bit, you get a lot of really cool atmoshpheric electronic music and down right cool instrumentals with it. keep writing cool blog posts ;)

    ReplyDelete