Friday, October 19, 2012

Robert DeLong is pretty awesome.

  Hello again! Today I'm doing something a little different. I decided that, instead of sharing music on spotify, I will share some videos instead. Today we're taking a look at new artist Robert Delong. Robert Delong recently blew the crowd away at local independant radio station WEQX's PearlPalooza festival. Here's the videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4D_klHPyMA&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0XQIykKyQY&feature=relmfu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWd-FZUzlPQ&feature=relmfu

   What can I say about Robert Delong? A lot. This kid is totally shaking the foundation of electronic dance music, and I like it. He uses a mix of keyboards, laptops, midi triggers, live drums, delay loops, and video game controllers. You read my words correctly, this kid uses video game controllers. It's pretty intriguing, isn't it? I was able to find a pretty good site which lists the gear he uses in his live shows, which can be found here: http://m.lockerz.com/u/robert.delong5196/collections/4758788/my_live_show_gear

   Bringing a DJ aesthetic to live looping, drumming and synth-pop singing, I would call Robert Delong the definition of the word "Fresh". And, if you've read my blog at all, you know how I feel about musicians keeping it fresh. I can be a pretty wordy person, but my reaction to his music can best be summed up into one word: Awesome.

    His single Global Concepts is a great track. With a great dance beat, primal drums and nihilistic lyrics, he has only been around for a short time and is without any doubts changing the face of Electronic Dance Music. There is no turning back now.

   Being the music geek that I am, I wish the videos I have provided had a little higher quality, but still they leave my jaw dropped. His dubstep-esque bass drops are incredible, and the fact that he's doing it in a non-traditional manner makes my mouth water for more. For reference, check out the 3 minute mark in the second video. Yes, that is Skrillex he's sampling. And I like it better than Skrillex. It's a pretty ballsy move to mix in another newer artist, but chance taking is what makes this guy so great. I am literally at loss for words. This kid is just sick, period.

    I am kicking myself in the head over missing PearlPalooza. For any of you in my neck of the woods, however, he is playing at Putnam Den in Saratoga October 24th. It's a 8 dollar show, so if you can make it out, do it. I unfortunately have a mid-term due this night, so can't make it. I am, however, thankful that DeLong is at the beginning of what is bound to be an amazing career, so I will surely have more chances to catch him. His complete tour schedule can be found here: http://www.robertdelongmusic.com/shows-2/ I would strongly advise any readers out in the western U.S. to check him out with The Faint. In my opinion, that's got to be a great show.

   Well that's about it for now. Check out Robert DeLong, keep reading my blog and enjoying tunes with me, and keep it cold.

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment